Save Your Vision Month is observed every March and sponsored by the American Optometric Association. Save Your Vision Month aims to increase awareness about good eye care and encourages people to get regular eye exams. With computers becoming an everyday part of people’s lives, the risk of eye strain and damage is higher than ever.
Save Your Vision Month reminds us not to take eye care for granted. From work to entertainment, eyes are a large part of our everyday life. It is important to note that just like visiting the dentist regularly, regular eye checks are also important.
Regular eye screenings are important!
- Keep your health on track: One of the best tools for caring for your eyes is regular medical screening. This is especially true for adults. Many eye diseases progress without symptoms such as glaucoma. You don’t know you have it until your vision is affected. Early detection and treatment greatly improves the chances of saving vision, and slowing glaucoma blindness.
- Catch underlying health conditions: Regular eye exams can detect a surprising number of non-eye diseases such as arthritis, diabetes and even Alzheimer’s disease. Medical advances in eye care are helping ophthalmologists save vision and boost overall health.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends a baseline eye exam by age 40 for most people and exams every year for people at age 60 or older.
Tips on taking care of your eyes!
- Always wear UV protection when outdoors to reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration.
- The brightness and glare from computers, tablets, smartphones and televisions can lead to eyestrain after excess use.
Minimize your chances of developing dry eyes when using a computer by blinking frequently.
- Give your eyes a break from digital devices. Take a 20 second break every 20 minutes and view something 20 feet away.
Eat Healthy Foods
- What we eat is as important to our eye health as our overall health. Fruits and vegetables have nutrients that help to keep our eyes healthy.
Get your eyes checked by your doctor
Get your eyes checked regularly. The best solution to prevent any eye problems is to have regular routine eye checkups.
Save your Vision!
Healthy vision is one of the most valued senses and it is important to keep your eyes healthy. It is important to see an eye care professional right away if you are experiencing any changes in your vision, eye pain, double vision.